Someone recently told me I don’t look like someone in her thirties. In my twenties, I didn’t care about the number,and in my thirties, I don’t think it matter. Age is just a number,to borrow line from a YA movie – also proving that age really is just a number since I am a fan of the YA genre in movies and books. Haha!
But what is it about the thirties that makes it special?
This is an age which everyone seems to have an opinion about! For the teenagers, it is nothing but the demise of their youthful, responsibility-free days. The ones in their twenties are even more freaked to hit this mark and push themselves hard to accomplish something before hitting the third-decade mark! In everybody’s opinion, this seems to be a dreaded step ahead.
Nevertheless, it is the start of a new chapter in my life, and I can’t help but think about the years gone by. You know the usual things – all the times that I’ve messed up, my best decisions and achievements so far, days when I shouldn’t have acted as grumpy and just flashed a wide grin, what I thought I would be like when I’m 30 and so on.
I do not intend to play Philosopher Phil right now, but one thing we can all agree upon is that although there is no timeline for our life, the power of time is undisputed.
Of course, there is no age-limit for anything, but trust me, a little planning can change the course of your life.
So, I’ve decided to share 5 amazing lessons that my thirties have taught me. I hope you can relate to this at some point, if not find it helpful!
- Your number one BFF is you! Trust me on this; no one can cheer you up on a bad day as good as you can. There’s a reason that old saying exists, “you’re your own best friend & your own worst enemy!”
- Take Charge. Stop taking everyone’s advice and seeking their affirmations! Not everyone out there has your best interest in mind. Trust yourself and march forward! Also, learn to say “NO”!
- Money is exhaustive. Of course, you don’t have to start living like a stereotypical miser out of some 90’s Bollywood film. You need to learn to invest smartly. Spend, but spend wisely.When I moved into my new flat, I wanted to make it the trendiest place in town. But before I knew it, I was down to my last few hundreds and my flat was still half unfurnished. That’s when I went in for this new thing called #SubscriptionLifestyle! Definitely, the smartest choice I’ve made!
- Life Is About Experiences. A lot of us live under the impression that life is about collecting things. Our hearts come on things like the latest sleek television, or the trendiest mobile phones. But trust me, few weeks down the line, you’re going to regret wasting your cash on something that has a newer version of it in the market. Stop chasing objects! Live for better things! Nowadays there are a lot of online marketplaces that offer products on rent. Learn to #SmartlyOwn products and save money for travel, pampering your loved ones and investing in big-ticket items.
- Nothing is Permanent! Literally and figuratively! The sky isn’t always sunny or rainy! You don’t like something? Change it then! Don’t like your couch? Exchange it for another. Don’t want to book a cab for work, rent a bike! Try something new and you’ll see the difference.
I’m still learning and quite optimistic about what lies in store for me!
How has your journey been all along? Do let me know!