We all know that for a better world and a metaphorically brighter future, we need to ensure that we bring up our kids right. The future is in their hands and just this realizations gives me goose bumps at times – the sheer intensity of how much the future depends on us, the mothers! It’s it overwhelming? Well, in a good way, of course. Definitely in a I-Want-To-Do-More way.
For this we must ensure that our kids know the following, only to name a few:
- That we love them to the moon and back.
- The difference between right and wrong,
- The enormous value of kindness,
- The grand perils of prejudice,
- The magic of courage,
- The BIG joy of gratitude, for all things nice
- The importance of finding time for things you love
- The fun in being yourself, out and out!
- The cost of freedom, and still choosing it.
- The dangers of a patriarchal society, and playing a role in changing it
- The worth of nurturing creativity
- The joy of reading! (Read. A. Lot.)
- The sheer comfort of Travel
- The lesson of independence
- The danger of gossip (except with me, I love it!)
- The pride of standing up for what you believe
- The importance of letting go
- The value of respecting time
- The art of not taking yourself too seriously
- The gift of laughter that comes easily (and is contagious, hopefully)
- The incredible value of compassion.
- The importance of sunscreen (VERY important!)
- And lastly, I want to tell her –
So yes, I am going to try and teach all of this to my daughter. And I’m sure every mother will have a similar list because hey, we all hope for a better tomorrow and we know that we can shape it up right now – with our young ones. But the most important thing here is for the moms to teach all of this by example. Yes!
Because children will not learn what we SAY, they will learn what we DO.
So the mother’s job becomes even more critical because to practice what we preach is the ultimate method. I am going to try and teach all this, and more – my list grows every month – to my daughter.
But you know what is the ONE thing I’d like to teach her, in the hope that she will contribute to building a better world?
Yes, tolerance is the one thing, the most crucial thing that I’d like to teach not just my daughter, but to each and every kid in the world.
We live in a world where people are beheading 5 year olds over land feud, where religion is invoking more passion in people than injustice and inhumanity, and where girls are brutally raped and killed because they protest instead of giving up. It kills my spirit to read such devastating news items almost daily, and the one thing that brings me back to hope is that maybe we, the human race, will learn the lesson of tolerance one day. The answer is our kids.
And that is the ONE thing I’d like to teach my daughter – through example.
What about you?
Watch this wonderful video of moms and their kids, it’s heartwarming.