It’s actually only the 3rd day of the new year and I’m already sure this year is gonna be super great. Great as in, sarcasm. Obviously. These 3 days have been kind of sad. Husband is away since the 1st of Jan, toddler is totally out of control and writing is not happening at all. Also – extremely cold. Brrr!
2014 was sort of rushed and blah, I didn’t even realize it was over until the whole ‘how will we ring in the new year’ debate was upon us. That can’t be good, right? I mean, I didn’t even write a Best Seller and the year is over? Talk about depressing. On the first day of 2015, husband’s duty called, he left and I decided that I didn’t have to believe in the whole whatever you do slash feel on the first day of the year will be the theme of the whole year bullshit. Which in itself is pretty sad, but let’s not got here. And then completely random people from the Internet keep asking if I am the ‘New Year Resolutions’ kind of girl. As if.
Later in the day I pondered upon the year gone by and well, it was pretty blah. For better understanding, let’s do lists, okay?
The I-Didn’t List:
- I didn’t lose weight and / or become incredibly sexy
- I didn’t sign another book contract
- I didn’t attend any literature fests
- I didn’t successfully teach my daughter to lip-sync to Beyoncé‘s Who Run The World
- I didn’t feature in Cosmopolitan mag for my awesome book
- I didn’t write amazing screenplay for a hit TV show
- I didn’t travel to any of my shortlisted destinations
- I didn’t attend comic con 2014
- I didn’t feature in the Crossword Best Seller list for my awesome book
- I didn’t meet J.K.Rowling.
- I didn’t eat healthy. Like, at all.
- I didn’t become delightfully organized at home or work
- I didn’t try any of the DIY projects I kept pinning all through 2014. Not even one.
- I didn’t become a rational, calm and composed person, as opposed to crazy, fidgety and over-enthused.
- I didn’t become fluent in French
- I didn’t write enough poetry
- I didn’t document my dreams (yeah, don’t ask)
- I didn’t work out, or take care of myself
- I didn’t paint. Even once.
- I didn’t write an awesome rap song and sell it for millions
- I didn’t learn to remove stains from white clothes (It’s one of my BIG problems)
- I didn’t build a secret library behind a door in my house
- I didn’t turn into a positive person, clearly
Sigh. Yeah, it would have helped if I worked on that last point. In case you haven’t noticed, this is all from my New Year Resolution list from when 2014 started. I made a list of everything I wanted 2014 to be, from simple things (Eat Healthy) to dreams (Meet J.K.Rowling).
The list pretty much bombed.
Anyway, never too late to try some positivity, and it’s not like 2014 was a total loss either. It was sprinkled with a few good things here and there. List? Okay.
The I-Did List:
- I did spend lots of good time with people I love
- I did reconnect with an old BFF I had lost touch with
- I did give a Radio interview which was super hit
- I did win an iPad for writing a fun piece
- I did get a tattoo. Finally.
- I did chop off my hair and I’m loving the short hairdo
- I did read a lot. As in, A LOT. Check out my Goodreads page here and applaud my efforts
- I did get loads of fan mail for my book. Which is cool to the power ten million. I love people who love my book, really.
So, there you go. My 2014 in 2 lists. And it’s pretty clear what’s wrong here, right? Right! Making a new year resolutions list – that’s what is wrong!
I shouldn’t do any resolutions in 2015. I will not do any list consisting of either dream-y or real-y things, nope. Nothing goes on my resolution list this year. Infact there won’t be a 2015 resolution list! No sir. I am going for the no-plans let’s-see-where-we-go thing this year. I plan on doing a lot of things in 2015, like getting book-2 published, writing more, working out, travelling, being nice(r), dancing a lot more, teaching my daughter the meaning of Not Now, going to date nights with the husband, preparing the daughter and managing baby-sitters for these date nights, being better person this year on, and being fu*#ing amazing all year long. But I’m not doing a list. I’m not giving myself any new year resolutions.
I’ve realized in the past year (s) that resolutions only set me up for disappointments. Because – when the year is winding up and it’s time to review the list, I only get depressed.
Doing a list, a New Year Resolution list is too much commitment and I’m not ready for that kind of stress. So for me, 2015 is a No Resolutions year. I will make no plans. I will just go with the flow and do my thing and see where it goes. I hope 2015 is my year, though. I really do! But I’m not getting too attached. Like I said, it’s the third day of 2015 and I’m still to be impressed.
2015, do your thing! And that thing has to be good. More than good, actually. It should be super duper amazing and euphoric that I am forced to eat my words (from this post).
So. Happy New year, folks! I hope your list gets a tick on each point this year, and I hope 2015 is kind on us all. 2015, be good!