They Are Playing My Song…

It started the night before when I couldn’t sleep till very late and woke up early with a fairly good recollection of a crappy dream. The day unfolded in what can only be described as a painfully-slow-stab-at-the-heart speed. Tricky deadlines, uncalled for distractions, annoying distances, faltering technology (basically stupid phone lines that wouldn’t let me talk to him), mounting depression complete with nosy relatives – this was a day designed by the devil. Then there were work related arguments which otherwise don’t bother me at all, but it was that kind of a day where everything distressed me.

By the evening, I was involuntarily letting the day slip out of my hands – in all shades of grey and sometimes burning orange. Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing drastic that happened. Work has always been demanding, I have always been easily distracted and extremely volatile, and I know that being with him every second of the day just isn’t possible. Still, this was one of those days when all the reasoning and logic was abandoned and I sulked. Then I realized I was sulking, felt weak, defeated even, and sulked some more.

Just then, someone turned up the music.

“There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don’t know how

Because maybe, you’re gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you’re my wonderwall”

I smiled and shouted to no one in particular – Hey! They’re playing my song!

Music has a strange, strong power over us – it can make you feel things that you don’t otherwise do. Or are not aware of them. Music can mend hearts – or break them. Music is the center of my being and It can alter my moods, yes. And the fact that Wonderwall was being played right when I needed it – makes me believe that music is there for me too. Bizarre, I know but its true – Wonderwall, my childhood favorite and my life’s unofficial anthem (almost) was playing on one of my unusual dull days.

Like Nick Hornby writes in High Fidelity

“Sentimental music has this great way of taking you back somewhere at the same time that it takes you forward, so you feel nostalgic and hopeful all at the same time.”

Music is the biggest power in my world. All was good because they were playing my song. I wasn’t gloomy anymore. I was singing loudly – totally out of tune – to the song. And just like that, my day got better.

12 thoughts on “They Are Playing My Song…

• Varad Varenya

(December 8, 2011 - 11:20 am)

Music comprehends as well as evokes emotion. Friedrich Nietzsche says, "Without music, life itself would be an error. The Germans imagine even God singing songs."

• Raajii

(December 8, 2011 - 7:08 pm)

Music does save us :-).

I love high fidelity!

(December 9, 2011 - 9:30 am)

Varad: Well said. Thanks for the comment 🙂

(December 9, 2011 - 9:31 am)

Raajii: You know, I read your post about a stranger playing guitar and felt immediately inspired for this post. 🙂

(December 15, 2011 - 4:34 am)

You know Adi, there is some, even miniscule connection there between us. I just know it.. 🙂

• Sujatha Sathya

(December 16, 2011 - 2:31 pm)

totally out of tune!! hahah yup that's how i sing too & when Sathya corrects me, i retort,"hey but i am singing from my HEART" 🙂

nice post.

yes, music is powerful

i remember writing about my fav singers here

can u pls remove the word verification for comments?

• sedated

(December 21, 2011 - 5:59 pm)

See..Mathurs are vey good at playing music instruments ……
    Jai Ramji ki….

• Madhusha

(December 24, 2011 - 11:40 am)

Couldnt agree more. Its like you voiced a post I'd been planning to write for a while now. I've felt uplifted on hearing music, like soooo many times!
    And not to forget the nostalgia it came bring over.
    Plus, the therapeutic effect in distress.
    Plus, strangely it makes you all energetic, while you can walk ten steps without music, music can actually help you stride miles…..
    Music and Magic. Synonymous.
    And wonderwall, by the way, happens to be one of my favorites 🙂

(December 24, 2011 - 1:31 pm)

Sam: Honey, I know and that's why I'm going to write to you tonight! Its been ages! Hugs!

(December 24, 2011 - 1:33 pm)

Sujatha Sathya: Hey, that's a really good post. Well rehearsed too. Thanks for dropping by! 🙂

PS: I would removed word verification but spam comments keep me on my feet all day long 🙁

(December 24, 2011 - 1:33 pm)

Sedated: 🙂

(December 24, 2011 - 1:35 pm)

Madhusha: I know, right? Its so therapeutic and pure magic. And hey, Wonderwall is really a great song! My next would be Living on a Prayer. ours?