Yes. I’m so cool. I work from home on my own clients. And when I started with my very first client, I was overwhelmed with pride and immediately made a list of all the great things about working from home. I also showed-off majorly to everyone who cared to listen. Most of the people in the Army don’t really understand and / or give a damn about ‘Digital Media’ and ‘Social Media’, but I yapped endlessly about how awesome it is. Well, that was when I was new at it.
Yeah. That phase has thankfully passed me now, as a year later I have discovered the flip side to working from home. Well, I’m not really upset at the discoveries because you know, all things have a flip side (Why God Why!!). I’m just a bit disappointed because while I was working full time, I secretly had a major grudge against all those who worked as consultants, free from all evil things like a boss, office hours and office bitches (remember my office fat bitch who almost ruined my work-life? If not read this post here).
Hmm. So I’ve made two lists – the amazing and the terrible sides of working from home. Here we go:
The Terrible –
- You make your own coffee.
- No Gossip to take the stress of work away.
- You don’t get a feeling of achievement after spending 20 minutes in the washroom or at a coffee break.
- No satisfaction of making looooong phone calls from the work phone. Better still, the office land line.
- No fun in pretending your laptop has crashed, and taking data – backup is no more an excuse to loiter around.
- No one to blame your silly mistakes on (Damn).
- Considerable degradation of social skills.
- No more invitations to hot parties.
- No free goodies from Yahoo!, Google and the likes (This I really miss!)
The Amazing –
- There is no Office. NO – OFFICE! (Say it aloud once, its liberating!)
- No Office Politics for you to get unwillingly or stupidly involved in, like when you are innocently informing your colleague about how your bitch-of-a-supervisor is secretly having an affair with the overweight-and-arrogant-yet-cute AVP, and your super boss hears every word. Not your fault, I know – dangerous nonetheless.
- No Boss to boss you around. Suddenly you feel like you own the world.
- No waking up early OR not having to face your outraged boss for arriving late. (I have signed the office register in red pen a zillion times, I know how it feels)
- No dressing up – you can work in your cute red shorts and the power-puff girls faded Tee
- No traveling to the office
- Not getting traffucked on the roads
- No colleagues to interrupt your work (or your Facebook and YouTube session)
- Eating out reduced drastically, you eat healthier food.
- Sense of ownership. You are the boss of you!
- Pride. If the campaign / client does well, the glory is all yours!
And the last point pretty much makes up for everything negative. Honest.
There you go. Both sides of the coin. Now decide what do you want for yourself.