Terrorism: Why India, and other questions

Unclear and confused post alert!

I know it’s a bit late to have a post dedicated on Mumbai Terror attacks – but I want you to know that I wanted to write something sooner, but I didn’t want another arbitrary-unstructured-emotional dump of words kind of a rant like I did for the Delhi Blasts a few months back. The Mumbai terror attacks looked like a perfect sport – a trained team that’s highly motivated and skilled. It broke my heart. I was hurt when it was Delhi and now, when it was Mumbai – something inside me died. I wanted to do something and like last time – actually like many last times – I didn’t know what to do. So for the lack of thoughts/reactions/actions, I watched the television 24×7. But joy to the world, a frenzied Barkha Dutt was all over the place. I changed channels to escape the old hag’s insensitive coverage, thinking that may be it’s only me who is biased against the ‘Jahnsi ki raani’ of Kargil, until plenty of comments started pouring on the Brakha Dutt and Blogging post of mine which made it clear that some other people also share the same opinion. The woman is insane.

Off the records, I’ve joined the ‘Take Barkha Dutt Off Air’ group on FaceBook 😀

Anyway, with Barkha Dutt answering the allegations made on media (read ‘her’), with media (otherwise) behaving a bit sensibly post the attacks, with Obama supporting India, with politicians showing their true colors and then with people uniting and lighting candles, it looks like there will no more of the ‘undying spirit of India’ cliché. Had enough already.

That’s that. What I am wondering is why is India such a soft target for terrorism? Spineless Politics? Maybe. Maybe not. After all we chose these leaders. Democracy, remember? Then is it the inadequate governance? Could be. Because the people who were standing by the ‘respectable governance’ of the Congress till 2 days back (arguing that no matter what happens inside the country, our diplomatic connections have improved, which –mind you- matter the most in the long run, and our economy is the safest. Ha!), are backing of with Pakistan denying any help and the economic meltdown hitting India harder than expected. Is it Pakistan then? But is anything in Pakistan’s control anymore? It’s like inviting your big-bully cousin to camp in your room for a few days in order to boss on other kids temporarily, until you realize that the bad cousin has taken over your room, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Hehe. Silly comparison, I know, but what the hell. While we, Indians, are working in big IT companies, making lots of money, watching block buster movies, educating our children and believing the next-super-power-India dream, there are poor families in towns like Faridkot in Pakistan with 5/6 children and nothing to eat, where one of the boys sell ‘pakoras’ to feed the family, who one day shows up with AK 47s and like in a PS2 game, kills whoever he sees. On the name of what? Religion? Yes, but is it only Islam against Hinduism? What about Hinduism against Christianity in Orissa and also when I was in a convent school in Rajasthan and a priest from another convent school was beaten up by RSS gang? What about what happened in Gujrat? There is no answer. No certain solution – not immediately atleast. With these international talks and threats happening, does any of us really believe anything better will come up? I read it somewhere a whie ago and ironically now I myself think we should drop all talks about handing over a list of terrorists and stuff, and just open India as a sort of Disneyland for terrorists- with attractions like Mumbai (local trains loaded with unimportant people, 5 star hotels with dignified celebrities, cafes with ready-to-kill people having coffee in the mean time, etc), Delhi (The parliament, Local markets buzzing with shoppers, gol gappa/aalo tikki eaters, people driving autos, etc), Jaipur, Bangalore and loads of other places, and let them have fun. It is almost like one anyway.

Even as I write this, not knowing if I have made any sense in the last 4 paras, there is an unusual fear in me. The fear that settled in me the night I heard the Taj news and is refusing to go since then. I guess, the only way to know what to do with this fear and whom to direct it toward is to watch 45 news channels and to listen to what our elected leaders have to say. And also, till the time it continues, we will have to sacrifice our individuality, privacy, trust and your general mental well-being. Can’t think of anything for the immediate future. All I’ll do for now is never wish someone ‘Have a blast!’

21 thoughts on “Terrorism: Why India, and other questions

• Harshad

(December 13, 2008 - 1:35 pm)

Indian media, they are a group of mongrels…!

They are the live example of scavengers trying to create a news from every and anything…

Sorry, maybe this comment wont explain what exactly is going through my mind, but its enough, we have had enough of darn TV and news media. We need to have a minimum QoS for news we watch..!

• Longroads

(December 13, 2008 - 1:37 pm)

Good Post Adi. You need to write more about such serious issues. You have an opinion.

• Maverick

(December 13, 2008 - 1:47 pm)

Now Is tht Aditi?? whom i have known for 3 years nw…… Best post eva by you….. n i mean it…

• s4n705h

(December 14, 2008 - 7:40 am)

well my thoughts on the same is that when will we learn? India still takes itself as a peace loving country. where as the peace is disturbed. Lets finish with it once and all.

I remember a joke where pakistani PM asks the indian PM for the proof of its militant activities and indian PM asks “How many truck loads you need?”

(December 14, 2008 - 7:41 am)

i saw ur status on gtalk BORED n i had guessed there’s gonna be another post on this blog today, but didnt know that this is going to be the topic. girl, u have got to get out of this topic n the situation both. blogs dont save the country. typically NOT INDIA !

(December 14, 2008 - 7:44 am)

Harshad: Sigh. You know exactly how I feel. :-/
    But I still think you should start writing again.

(December 14, 2008 - 7:45 am)

Longroads: Thanks. Glad you liked it.

(December 14, 2008 - 7:46 am)

Maverick: Yes, it is. And if you think this one’s got a point, I’m home. 🙂

(December 14, 2008 - 7:48 am)

Santosh: Exactly. Today’s newspaper has a letter from the caught terrorist where he is requesting the Pak govt to help him legally as he is a Pakistani.

(December 14, 2008 - 7:49 am)

Spectator: I agree we need to get out of this..but then do what? Get killed while we are living a life? Blogs wont make a change, but then what will?

(December 14, 2008 - 9:27 am)

one straight solution, eliminate pakistan from the map. but we cant do that. we are not able to solve our internal employment and education issues, we cant take responsibilities of pakistan.

2nd solution, do the same what USA did with afghanistan, but i dont know if we can force UN to permit us for the same.

3rd solution, improve indian military intelligence to fight terrorists on off the record manner. but thats just not gonna happen coz our best brains wants to join MNCs and earn money. but if we can improve our intelligence forces (like RAW), we can definitely eliminate all terrorist groups from india.

4th solution that every single indian citizen can afford. rather posting blogs (which are never gonna be read by government), we better send a post card to PM, CM and all other authorities’ house with our personal opinions on this. let him know how many indian citizens feel that they are affected. at least this will direct our voice towards a proper channel. rest, media will do.

5th solution. this sounds good when i am writing here but dont know if anybody is interested in that. we need young ones in government. ppl like u and me need to participate in elections.

there are a lot, but as usual, we just talk and do nothing.

• Sachin Garg

(December 16, 2008 - 5:09 pm)

love the versatility of your words!
    happened to attend ‘We the people’ talk show a few weeks ago.
    Wanted to give her a piece of my mind!

• Milestogo

(December 17, 2008 - 4:33 pm)

Spectator : Who said blogs can’t save India? The youth meet here, and I see a lot of movements in there starting from fighting against poverty (charity, yes) and even PILs and other stuffs in the wake of 26/11. It helps in a way, if we have a vision 🙂

Adi : I am more of a CNN-IBN fan post 26/11. Also, I became a Rajdeep fan too. He was the only reporter at Taj who said, “let them do their work” and kept silent about NSG moves. The only stupid question he asked was to British High Commissioner about the cricket match (while the fight was still on in the hotel), while others asked 100. SO, it was a 100-1 win in the match of stupidities 😀 Also, ibnlive.com is brimming with citizen journalists, there is life.
    Re: terrorism – undying spirit of India is a polished word for complacency. Guess we have lost it and there is action.
    1) Forming NIA
    2) Decision to create NSG hubs in major cities
    3) State govts, responsible for law and order, conducting special commando training to their police force
    Its a happening time. Let us not loose heart. Because, if we do that, nothing can save India.

• Mishra

(December 17, 2008 - 4:33 pm)

To be honest, I do not think it has anything to do with Pakistan anymore ( like you said in the post ). It is far bigger an issue in comparison to that and quite possibly, an underestimated one.We tell them to disengage any facilities to those terrorist organisations and to hand over the key suspects to India- but is it really going to make a difference who the person behind Mask is ? The point of bigger worry is- there always is someone or the other behind the mask !!

We cry over what happened in mumbai and fret over government inability to avoid the mishap- but is it not true that it was not more than a 36 hr movie to us- got out of the theatre and up for ‘Rab ne bana di jodi’ ?

My life till now has been mostly with equations and logics where 2+2 could possibly be 5 or even 3 but NOT NECESSARILY 4. In light of such a background,I believe no closed for solution seems plausible for the crisis at hand- yes I know I am talking like a politician.But what makes it worse that the proposed solutions (like attacking pakistan or something like that- or even the “no security no tax” hysteria etc.) are total wastage of time.

So,basically…like others I do not see a solution as of now.Will definitely post a comment if I can think of any but right now-I have no clue !

(December 18, 2008 - 7:22 am)

@Milestogo: of course the youth meet here, coz it’s much easier than doing anything else. ppl love posting about recent stuff, that brings more hits to site. gives more revenue on ads. i am not sure if blogs have been successful to bring poor ppl above the poverty line, but yes; i am sure the bloggers are cashing their adwords cheques right now. i am just wondering if this is the same blogger youth who really participate in elections ? forget participating, we are not even bothered bout our fundamental duty of voting.

• humbl devil

(December 20, 2008 - 9:41 pm)

glad that you are also a member of the barkha dutt haterz forum…

really, i just felt like going out to the taj mahal hotel where she was covering the aftermath of the strikes…and giving her onw tyt slap ryt on that face of hers!!!

the kind of dramatics she was performing onscreen was pathetic!!!it was as if she wasnt reporting a tragedy but acting her part in a drama!!!

anyways, no use wasting screen space to that b****!!!

very well written..gal…

• humbl devil

(December 25, 2008 - 2:14 pm)

devil’z playing santa this christmas…
    come collect your goodies from my abode…

(December 26, 2008 - 6:07 pm)

@Milestogo: sorry, i meant adsense. i was drunk, he he 😀

(January 6, 2009 - 9:37 am)

Great post. Direct dil se. Keep writing.

(January 9, 2009 - 8:41 pm)

The debate might have stopped or worn out. But I just got a text msg that says 13th may jaipur. 26th july ahmdbd. 13th sept delhi. 26th nov taj mumbai.13th jan – what next?
    Is anyone even considering this text msg, like I am?

• The story Tellar

(January 14, 2009 - 10:13 am)

13 Jan is over. What do you think? terrorist are using some date logic to strike terror strikes?
    Its not even one unified group which is attacking Indian mainland, its a group of many!

On the terror strikes, according to me its just become more and more clear that reliogionism is not the way to go. Let me explain – Reliogion in India is getting far too much importance in social life then it should.

We need to follow modernism. Uniform rules for every citizen in India directed toward making a modern and progressive country.
    Rules should be logical rather than emotional or religious in nature.

We should dismantel Muslim personal law governing muslims in India, Hindu law or if there is a christian law in existance. Every body should be bound by same law in this country. If having more than one wife is a crime in one religion and is logical also then that should be the law. My point is that it should be made more logical and uniform.

Why do we need religion in education system? why does a madarsa has to teach that following allah is the greatest good a person can do? why does a catholic school has to drive people toward jesus? why does a paathshala has to teach granths or vedas?

Education makes people’s character, correction has to come there!! It should teach people to be more civilized, more rational, more logical so that they grew up to be more patient, more considerate more responsible citizen and can differentiate between right and wrong based on thier own judgement!!

Why does we need to have minority institutes? if atall minorities has to be benifit the institute has to be in 100% control of government!

Why shouldn’t politics be like service? where you probably are eligible to get pension but can get sacked also for poor performance/ police complaint etc!

Why Kashmir has to have a special status? why we have to for fake pride claim POK in India when we have not been able to even go there in last 50 years!!

It all about leaving behing false pride, fake secularism!

We are the most secular country in the world and guess what also the worst hit by terrorism!

Dont know if I have made some sense here!